Fall has changed me for the better this year and I am hoping that as the new year approaches I can learn more about myself and improve in the coming months. Some things may stay the same but, many things … Continue reading
This evening Hubby and I are heading out to our childbirth class “refresher”. At first, I wasn’t quite sure that I wanted to take a course to virtually walk through everything I already did with my first labor and delivery … Continue reading
Happy Monday, all! As I’ve hinted at in other posts, these last few months especially, I have been very emotional and not really prone to blogging as much as I’d like. With the move to a new house (yes, we … Continue reading
In many places, like NC, it’s already so warm that we are hash tagging #summerishere. That means that every spare moment we are headed to the beach or the pool with our tote in tow, big sunglasses, and tanning oil. But, … Continue reading
Favorite Flower (Teddy Bear Sunflower): Favorite Advice: Favorite Life-Saver Product: Favorite Photo (Boudoir): Favorite Detail (Lace Peter Pan Collar):
I don’t know about you but, I am completely chilled the bone. Although the temperatures keep fluctuating (for example, this weekend is supposed to shoot up to 75 degrees), I find myself- on most nights- reaching for the cuddliest thing … Continue reading
Threw this outfit together on a whim. I’ve been looking for stretchy, comfy skirts that can still look professional lately and when I found this polka dotted, pencil skirt at Target the other day I snapped it up in an … Continue reading
Can you tell that I can’t take a break from these Nine West booties?! They go with EVERYTHING!! Honestly, though, this weather is so inconsistent. All last week it was so temperate and “spring like”. Today, it turned into the … Continue reading
Chevron has been one of the most popular, vintage throwback fabrics the past few years. It’s shown up on everything from dress, to jewelry, to rugs, and crib bedding! I’ve recently seen some bloggers say that it’s a style they’re … Continue reading
Summer is fleeting from us ever-so quickly and, although we are halfway through September, I wanted to share with you my favorite products/items of the summer. Let’s get down to business, shall we?
- Awapuhi Wild Ginger Texturizing Sea Spray [by Paul Mitchell]: This spray single-handedly saved my hair this summer. After my husband and I got back from our business trip to New Orleans, I decided that it was just going to be entirely too hot to have super long hair. I chopped it off a couple of weeks later and wanted an easy way to leave my hair messy without looking like I had just rolled out of bed.
I had been debating on whether or not to by the Bumble & Bumble brand of texturizing, wave spray for quite some time. DebE’s review of the product, which you can read HERE, is rather convincing and I will still consider buying this product in the future. However, the Awapuhi product was available in the salon where I get my hair done. After requesting that my stylist use it on my hair before leaving, I was sold!
It’s a very lightweight product and smells AMAZING! It keeps my hair from getting greasy quickly and adds volume without maximizing frizz. All these things are a MUST here in North Carolina where the humidity is in the 80-90% range at all times during the summer. Even so, I plan on using this product year round. Try it out and you won’t be disappointed! The 5.1 oz bottle retails for a little over $20.
- Burt’s Bees Rosewater Toner: Toner has always been a ‘touchy’ product for me. I’ve experimented with it before and found that most of them burn and irritate my face, more like an astringent. Also, most experts agree that it’s not an absolutely necessary product to keep on hand. Supposedly, it’s marketed more for people with extremely oily and acne-prone skin than for the majority or make-up wearers. However, I’ve found that it does remove leftover make-up and residue from my pores when I’ve been really piling on the products.
Discouraged because of the irritation it caused me, I stopped using any kind of toner a few years ago. But, I was overjoyed when I saw the rosewater toner while browsing the store this summer. I have read a lot about the benefits of rosewater on skin but, so far, have refrained from buying any because it’s mostly bought in a small amount for more than I’d like to pay. It’s said to be a wonderful cleanser, proactive against blemishes, anti-inflammatory, and a mood enhancer- especially when used before bed. Because of these factors I decided to take a chance on this 8 fl oz bottle from Target. Sells for anywhere from $10-$15.
My skin is so soft and blemish free since using it; feels extremely clean and “breathable” after application. Not to mention that I can see a huge amount of make-up come off that I wouldn’t have been able to see with my naked eye after my normal face washing routine. Definitely a keeper!
- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream: Tinted moisturizer has always been my go-to sheer coverage for summer. But, when I stopped being able to find my favorite one, I didn’t know what to buy next. That’s when I came across the BB cream.
My mom has been using BB cream for the past couple of years and is always ranting about how great it is. Granted, she is naturally a beautiful chestnut brown color and doesn’t need to wear make-up to save her life. Nevertheless, I decided, against my better judgement, to try it out. My better judgement was wrong.
I’ve worn this exact product in the color “Medium Sheer” almost everyday this summer. The amount of coverage coupled with the SPF 30 that’s included in the serum, make it my #1 choice for a foundation alternative in hot weather conditions. And only $8!
- Shine Drama Lip Gloss [by Victoria’s Secret]: Smear this lipgloss on and immediately feel like a model! I love this gloss that I picked up in the color “Punch Drunk” at my local Victoria’s Secret store. It can be worn with no other make-up at all or put it on to finish off your sophisticated look. However, I would not layer this with a lipstick.
Shine Drama comes in 13 colors and goes for $12 a tube. It is a tad sticky or, as my mom would put it, “It feels like I just ate a doughnut”. That characteristic doesn’t bother me because the shine and vibrance makes up for any ‘heaviness’. A great summer, make-up bag essential!
- Maybelline Volum’ Express, The Falsies Mascara: Normally, the mascara I use is the Smashbox Hyperlash that sells for $22. But, needless to say, that is a lot of money to replace such a small product every few months. Because of this, I’ve been shopping around for a cheaper alternative that actually does what it says. Something I can use when I run out of Hyperlash and don’t want to spend the money on it right away.
Tanya Burr, Youtube go-to girl for make-up tutorials, often uses The Falsies mascara and raves about how great it is. So, for $6, I thought, “What the heck”, and picked it up at Target. It was definitely not a mistake! Even my husband says that my lashes look long and luscious when I use it! The wand is perfect for winging your lashes up and separating them, and the mascara itself is not clumpy at all; it goes on very smoothly. Tanya never lets me down!
- Ralph Tortoise Shell, Cat Eye Sunglasses [by Ralph Lauren]: My one and only favorite fashion accessory of the summer. These sunglasses are flattering, flirty, and fabulous. They have an old hollywood, Jackie O look to them that carries vintage into the 21st century in a very classy way. A splurge after a big photo shoot I did… I spent $90 on these at Belk. But, I believe it’s never a bad choice to splurge on something timeless. A well made, expensive pair of sunglasses is something you can hang onto year after year, that pairs well with almost any outfit, and is essential if you live in a hot and sunny place like I do. Protect your eyes with style!
- Kale & Chia Wild Chips [by Wild Roots]: Made with real kale, quinoa, flax, and chia, these chips might sound like a health kick extreme. I’ll admit I was surprised by myself for buying these, although I’m all about healthy and organic foods. These chips taste better than tortillas and are good alone or with salsa/dip. They are gluten free and full of vitamins. Get this– even my 7 year old step-son is addicted to them!
- Kombucha: Kombucha is a seaweed tea fermented by a mix of bacteria and yeast. It promotes a healthy liver, helps prevent cancer and arthritis, improves digestion/detoxification, and boosts the immune system. There are numerous different brands and flavors. Overall this drink really makes me feel lighter, healthier, and more energetic. I have most recently bought this at Harris Teeter and The Fresh Market. (If you try it out, let me know what you think.)
There you have it, my summer favorites! Who knows, maybe we have some of the same ones. If you have questions, or suggestions for something I should try and maybe include in my next post, leave me a comment below! 🙂